US PX Garrison cap with Infantry blue piping
The garrison cap was adopted in 1939 for barrack and field use. It could be worn anywhere, except when the helmet was worn.
PX is short for Post Exchanges: shops that sold goods to military personnel. Many soldiers purchased this more rectangular version of the garrison cap, preferring it to the issued cap.
For enlisted men the unit’s distinctive insignia where worn on the left front.